How to Reduce Cortisol and its treatment are described here. Cortisol? Is this term acquainted with you? If not, don’t worry. In this blog, you will get to know a lot about cortisol, its advantages, and its disadvantages. Cortisol is generally a natural steroid hormone secreted by the adrenal cortex in the adrenal gland in the human body.
In this process, glucose is formed by breaking down glycogen. The cortisol is also used in medication purpose and it is known as hydrocortisone.
The hormone is generally secreted when a person is stressed or having a low blood sugar level. The formation of glucose helps in reducing the stress level and maintains the sugar level in a person’s body. And the process of formation of glucose is known as glycogenesis.
But more secretion of cortisol can severely affect your body processes. It can affect your brain, weaken your immune system, affect the process of building muscles, increase your weight significantly. So Enlisted below are some simple steps to reduce cortisol.
How to reduce cortisol?
Increase secretion of cortisol from the adrenal gland can lead you to Cushing’s disease. To reduce cortisol level, follow the following steps:
- Reduce the consumption of a more sugary diet and Trans fats.
- Avoid hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar level).
- Must consume enough fats and proteins or else it can lead you to hunger and weight gain.
- Avoid drinking too much caffeine and alcohol.
- Kill stress by meditation and deep breathing exercises.
- Exercise regularly to reduce your stress level and decrease the secretion of cortisol.
- Take enough rest and sleep.
- Coconut oil or olive oil massage also helps in reducing cortisol levels in your body.
Also Read: How to Reduce Fatty Liver?
How to reduce cortisol level naturally?
To reduce the cortisol level naturally, you have to follow these simple steps:-
- Must take the required amount of sleep. It helps you to avoid every distractions and stress that increases your cortisol level.
- Daily Exercise is a limit that keeps the body fit.
- Always be positive and don’t take stress too much.
- Meditate every day to bring the feeling of relaxation into your body.
- Healthy foods and diets rich in vitamins and proteins is highly essential and avoid trans fats.
High cortisol levels symptoms
High cortisol levels in your body can affect your normal body functions. Some symptoms and disorders that can be noted when a person is having a high cortisol level are as follows:-
- Weakness in muscles and pain in different body parts.
- Being depressed and filled with anxiety.
- Blood sugar high and low imbalance.
- High blood pressure.
- Sudden weight gain.
- Cannot sleep easily.
- Recovery of a wound is very slow, etc.
Foods that reduce cortisol
Foods and diets play an important role in maintaining the cortisol level in your body. Foods which are rich in vitamin c are generally good for reducing cortisol levels. Some of them are enlisted below:-
- Lemons, oranges, and cherries.
- Tomatoes, rash-berries, and turnips.
- Cauliflower, tangerines, green peas, etc.
- Papaya, strawberries, broccoli, guava, etc.
- But avoid trans fats, chocolates, alcohols, low fiber carbs, etc.
High cortisol level treatment
A high level of cortisol level in the human body is highly harmful. It can lead to diseases like Cushing’s syndrome. The secretion of cortisol from adrenal glands is due to the presence of a high level of adrenocorticotropic hormone. Some ways to treat this high level of cortisol are as follows:-
- A patient suffering from high cortisol levels must give up or decrease the amount of intake of steroids in reference to a doctor.
- If medications can’t help in reducing the cortisol level in a patient , then the adrenal glands may develop some tumors. And thus these can be cured by surgery only.
- In many cases, patients are also cured by gamma-ray radiation therapy.